School is a demanding school that wants to see children
succeed. We have high expectations for each student to
perform to his/her fullest potential. We offer enrichment and compacting classes for those students who want the extra challenge; we offer a full year of Algebra in junior high to help prepare them for high school. Many of our junior high students earn scholarships to area Catholic high schools based on their high entrance exam scores. We see homework as an important component to school and seek to instill in our students the importance of a strong work ethic.
St. Bernard Catholic School offers its students opportunities for growth in the following major subjects:
- Religion-Catholic doctrine and tradition, Bible study, social justice, preparation for the reception of the
sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation,
- Liturgical services are held weekly for all levels as well as for holy days and special feast days,
- Language Arts-Reading, English, spelling, composition, library skills, appreciation of literature
- Mathematics- Mathematic skills, pre-algebra and algebra 1.
Beginning in August 2012 we
will be working to advance our math skills by combining
classes for Mathematics. Students will be grouped by "math
ability" instead of grade.
- Physical Education- Physical fitness program appropriate for grade levels, movement, and health
- Social Studies-History, geography, economics, current events
- Science-General sciences and laboratory experiences
- Handwriting-Manuscript (grades Pre-K- 2), Cursive (grades 3-8)
- Fine Arts-Music, music history, music appreciation, art, art history, speech, and drama
- Computer Literacy-Basic computer skills, keyboarding, power point, and basic word processing
The curriculum from the Archdiocese of Omaha is followed.